Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Seeking Kinky Freedman and Donald Judd

Texas. I once had visions of dusty pickups dragging people in their wake, drivers tossing beercans out the window in a drug and alcohol induced wave of destruction. We're hoping to avoid that Texas. We're also hoping to avoid the Texas of public defenders who sleep through capital offense trials, resulting in rampant death penalties and the Texas of spewing oil wells and their liposuctioned, pinky ringed owners. In other words, the Texas of white gentile country clubs and well oiled insider deals.

Hopefully there is another Texas, where people like Kinky Freedman and Donald Judd live out their unlikely lives and attract a following. Friday we load Magnifico and Marcel DuChamp into the Rav 4 and take Route 10 through Roswell and Carlsbad. If you are not from New Mexico, you cannot imagine the emptiness of the open road here, where you can go for 45 minutes and not see a car and intersections marked "Congested Area" clock perhaps 8 vehicles a day. We'll keep you posted and if you have memories of Texas, weigh in!

5 comments:

orlando Leibovitz said...

Hello Everyone,

I came home from the studio today and Lissa said"Honey, come and look at our new Texas road trip blog. Isn't she great? Aren't you all jealous I'm the one who gets to go with her?

Orlando

M said...

hey. very cool. you're awesome.

Pat said...

Having trouble leaving a comment, many little boxes to fill in with things I forget immediately, like my password. This is impermanence in action.

News: Mary's at home with an eye infection and continuing her retreat there. She's okay.

There's a deer road sign out where you are or will be, on a truly long stretch of open road. Each year at Christmas when I was down that way the deer got a red nose. Maybe you'll see it. Pat.

stellth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stellth said...

I can't think of any reason compelling enough to visit occupied mexico. One drive across the panhandle and another to dallas confirmed that flying over the state is the best way to get to get to other points where my compass leads me.




ps I had to delete my previous comment because this crappy interface wouldn't let me edit my own comment.